15th Season Summer Splash in Franklin Square
With safely-distanced, enhanced offerings for all ages!
Summer Splash in Franklin Square
Wednesdays – Saturdays, July 14 – August 28
- Franklin Square Beer Garden, Thursdays – Saturdays only, 5 - 10 pm - Take a seat in the new beer and cocktail garden under a translucent tent with rustic garden chic décor. Soak up all that the park has to offer while enjoying music Thursday through Saturday. Beer and cocktails will be served at the bar. Also, order delicious meals and snacks from your seat, using the QR code menu to order. Fun games such as cornhole, Connect4, and more add to the revelry.
- Summer Splash Wednesdays, July 14 - August 25
Yoga in the Square, 5:30 – 6:30 pm – Bring a yoga mat and join the instructor for a guided journey to wellness. Look for the yoga flag upon arrival. FREE.
Free Dance Lessons, 6:30 - 7:15 pm – Grab those dancing shoes as Concierge Ball Room presents free dance lessons with a different genre each week.
• July 14: Swing Dance
• July 21: Hip Hop
• July 28: Tango
• August 4: Jazz
• August 11: Salsa
• August 18: House Dance
• August 25: Hustle
- Summer Splash Thursdays, July 15 - August 26, Live DJ, 5 - 9:30 pm – Longtime fan of Franklin Square, Philly DJ Robert Drake (WXPN) spins some popular tunes, with rotating genres each week.
- Summer Splash Fridays and Saturdays, July 16 – August 28, Live Music, 5 - 9:30 pm – A variety of local acoustic artists entertain guests.
- Franklin Square Fountain Show, there are DAILY performances every 30 minutes from 12 p.m. until closing. To see Square hours, click here. The Fountain Show features spectacular dancing water effects and colored lights choreographed to a selection of one of six songs that rotate:
• “Gonna Fly Now” by Bill Conti, Theme from Rocky
• “Beautiful Day” by U2
• “What a Wonderful World” by Louis Armstrong
• “Motownphilly” by Boyz II Men
• “Firework” by Katy Perry
• “Under the Sea” by Howard Ashman from "The Little Mermaid"
2021 Special Events at Franklin Square
- Franklin Square Walking Path presented by Penn Medicine, open anytime – Keep up with a healthy lifestyle by walking three times around the Square, the equivalent of one mile on this marked path.
- Yoga in the Square, Wednesdays, 5:30 pm and Sundays, 11 am – Bring a yoga mat and join the instructor for a guided journey to wellness. Register in advance. Look for the yoga flag upon arrival. FREE.
- Once Upon A Nation Storytelling Benches, July 2 - September 6 (also Sept 5 & 6), Fridays & Saturdays: 11 am - 4 pm – One of the three one-of-a-kind award-winning Historic District Once Upon A Nation Storytelling Benches is in Franklin Square, telling riveting stories of our nation’s history in the places where they actually happened. Specially-trained, uniformed storytellers delight and entertain with free, short 3-to-5-minute stories while sharing the secrets of Philadelphia’s and America’s history.
- Storytime presented by the Independence Branch of the Free Library of Philadelphia, Thursdays, 11 am - 12 pm - Join Franklin Square in the Pavilion for a delightful program of stories read to children of all ages – in English AND Mandarin.
• English: July 15, and July 22.
• Mandarin and English: July 8, and July 22
- Story Walk presented by the Independence Branch of the Free Library of Philadelphia – Follow the map around Franklin Square to read pages of our featured bilingual children’s book of the month in English and Mandarin. Presented in partnership with the Free Library of Philadelphia. FREE.
- Little Free Library – Take a Book, Return A Book! Franklin Square’s official Little Free Library is part of the nation’s largest book sharing movement. We encourage any person of any age to come take a book to read and replace it with a book that you have already read. FREE.
- Franklin Square 15th Birthday Celebration, July 31, 12 - 4 pm – Fifteen activities to celebrate Franklin Square’s 15th Birthday! Family fun, yoga, dance lessons, crafts, storytelling, and much more.
- In celebration of our 15th birthday, we will be handing out 15 golden tickets to 15 random customers now through July 30. These 15 lucky individuals will be entered into our grand prize drawing, which will take place on July 31. There will be three lucky winners but only one grand prize winner.
- Hansel and Gretel presented by Opera on Tap Philadelphia – August 21 and 28, 1 pm – Opera on Tap Philadelphia presents Humperdinck’s Hansel and Gretel on the Great Lawn of Franklin Square. The classic children’s fairy tale will be sung in English and is free to the public. Music director Gabriel Rebolla will lead mezzo-soprano, Amanda Staub, soprano Rebecca Shimer, baritone Matthew Maisano, soprano Dana MacIntosh, soprano Elizabeth Oliver, and mezzo-soprano Rebecca Sacks in this family friendly concert version of one of opera’s most popular shows.
- Griot Tale Saturday: Storytelling by Keepers of the Culture, August 28: 1 - 2 pm – The African American Museum in Philadelphia is partnering with Franklin Square to bring Griot Tale Saturdays to the Square all summer long. A griot is an African oral historian that passes on their culture through the practice of storytelling. Perfect for families and FREE.